Did you know finding the best soil test kit is a big challenge especially if you don’t know the different types that the market stocks?
As a gardener, it is very important to have good quality soil. Quality soil is the foundation for all successful gardening. Good soil means that it has the right pH level for your plants. Depending on what you are growing, your soil’s pH levels vary. Some plants like it acidic while others are alkaline.
The best way to ensure that your soil is perfect for any plant you grow is to use a test kit. The best soil test kits will give you detailed information about your soil and what it needs to improve it.
What is a Soil Test Kit?
A soil test kit tests your soil and provides you with a solution to your issue. Soil test kits are different with each testing a different element of the soil. These test kits include:
The most common one is a pH test kit. This kit tests and analyzes the nutrient content of your soil showing the deficiencies. It also allows you to make adjustments using fertilizer or other healthy nutrients.
Other soil test kits will tell you about the different components found in the soil. Elements like Nitrogen and Potassium plus their quantities are analyzed and shown.
Another test kit measures the moisture content of the soil. This is important to plants that need specific amounts of water.
What Does the Best Soil Test Kit Test the Soil for?
There is an endless amount of things you can test your soil for. But some are more important than others. The most important soil tests for most homeowners are as follows:
The pH levels – These levels run from 0 to 14. 7 is neutral, anything below 7 is acidic and above 7 is alkaline. 5.5 to 7 is a good range for most plants.
- (N) Nitrogen
- Soil moisture
There are many other nutrient tests that you can undertake. The above are the most important ones that you will need.
Advantages of Using a Soil Test Kit
There are many advantages why you should test your soil. Here is a sneak peek at a few of the advantages.
- Know what nutrient is deficient and perfect it. When you test your soil, you will know what your soil is missing and add the right products to perfect it. With the perfect soil, your plants can grow well and produce more.
- Maintain healthy soils. Healthy soils are ideal for the growth and production of your plants. By testing the soils you confirm if they are well-formed with the 3 most critical nutrients – NPK. Your soil should also be moist, soft, and well-aerated helping the roots to feed the plant well.
- Eliminates all guesswork in gardening. Every time you see plants grow slowly; you wonder what the problem could be. You may try to add fertilizers or water them more times or add compost manure. While all these efforts are excellent, they could mislead you to think you have given your plants what they need. Using the test kits eliminates all guesswork out of gardening. And make it easy for you to know what the main problem is.
Types of Soil Test Kits
- Mail-in – This is one of the most precise soil test kits. It requires you to collect a sample and mail it to a lab for testing. These test kits provide the most detailed results. It can take a week or more to get these results.
- Probe – A probe soil test is easy to carry out at home and get your results instantly. This test demands you insert a metal probe into the soil to get instant results of your soil. These test kits reveal the soil’s pH value, moisture levels, and sunlight intensity. This test kit is the least precise among the rest.
- Slurry – Slurry soil test kits are a little involving. Take some soil sample, mix it with distilled water, add a reagent, and then dip the test strip into the slurry to get your results. These kits test the soil’s pH, Nitrogen, Phosphorous, and Potash. These tests need more work than the probe test kits and, they are a little more precise.
Recommended Best Soil Test Kit
This comprehensive testing kit list shows some of the top kits that you can choose. They test the soils for macronutrients and micronutrients. This makes the gardening journey easy and more accurate.
LUSTER LEAF kit provides quick results that you get from the comfort of your home. The kit contains several tests that you can use to test your soil in different parts of your property. You need together to use distilled water with this kit. This kit will give you immediate pH results and nutrient levels.
The kit comes with various soil amendment suggestions and detailed suggestions for plant nutrient intake. Everything is well color-coded to avoid any mix-up making it easy to use. This kit is perfect for homeowners and farmers. It is advisable to use it to check the soil before planting. This helps to determine the right fertilizers to use during the growing season.
- Low price
- Easy to use
- Multiple tests included
- Not very detailed to help solve serious problems
The WHITETAIL Kit is designed specifically for soils used for producing garden beds. If you plan on growing your fruits and vegetables, consider using this great kit. This kit tests the soil pH and organic materials so that you can get an understanding of what your soil consists of.
You need to mail your specimens to the lab for final results. Expect the results to come within a week via the mail or email.
- Easy to use
- Fast results turnaround
- Great for soil amendments
- Must pay to main in results
- Only one test per kit
- Not made for lawns
SOILKIT tests the soil for pH, NPK, and other select micronutrients to provide a detailed analysis of the fertilizers required. This test kit is best for both lawns and gardens.
You will need to mail your soil samples and the results should reach you in about a week. The results come with detailed descriptions of the area tested. They also include the possible help that the vegetation around the area can receive.
- Helps with easy soil problems
- Easy to use with fast results
- Easy to follow prescription based on results
- You only can test one area at a time
BLUEBAB is the best tool to measure the soil’s temperature and pH. It is the best option if you need help with managing the growth of your plants, checking the nutrient uptake, and the plant health of your plants. It uses a battery and comes with a backlit LCD. Best kit for sprouting plants.
- Easy to use
- Compact and handy
- It is not durable
LUSTER LEAF is a digital soil tester that is a simple and economical soil test kit that is easy to use and maintain. This kit is designed with ease of use in mind so that everyone can use it. Push the button to get your results in seconds.
This kit can also be used by beginners who are starting their soil testing journey. It allows you to perform over 25 tests and covers about 450 plants.
- Simple and easy to use
- Its readings are not as accurate as other testers
- May need to buy and add test chemicals
The 3 in 1 soil test kit comes with other handy tools needed for your home garden. It comes in 7 pieces of Bonsai tools.
- 1 piece folding scissors,
- 1stainless steel tweezers,
- 1 pruning scissors,
- 2 wooden spades.
- 1 wooden rake,
- 1 wooden cleaning brush
This kit is analog; it doesn’t use either batteries or charge. Features a firm build that is attractive. It is easy to use even for beginners who are learning how to use the soil kit tester. Designed to work in any condition and space indoors and outdoors.
- Easy to use and handy
- Useful both indoors and outdoors
- Nice design
- Comes with other necessary garden tools
- Not very precise
Plants need enough amount of water, light, and air. Above it all, they need the soil to thrive. Soil test kits were invented to help keep the soil in check. That’s why it is vital to choose the best soil test kit. Whether you buy off the counter or from an online shop you need to be sure you are getting one with the best features. Both mail-in and probe are easy to use and perfect for learning about your soil health. Why wait until you have any problems with your soil when you can use these kits to correct them before they destroy your plants. Choose a test that will sort out your problems.