If you want to grow any variety of tomatoes you will need a tomato trellis to help you support your plants and their produce. Here are some tomato trellis design ideas you can use to support your tomato plants.
What is a Tomato Trellis
Tomato trellis is a freestanding structure that is made from metal or wood. It is used to contain and support the sprawling vines and the heavy tomato fruit. Trellis provides support for your tomato plants. It keeps them healthy all through their growing season. The use of trellis ensures you get maximum produce yields per plant. There is nothing better than growing your tomatoes in your backyard.
If you choose to grow the vining type you will need to prune them and use trellis for support. Not only does the trellis keep these plants off the ground, but they also ensure your plants receive enough sunlight.
Let’s Look at the Tomato Trellis Design Ideas You Could Use
- String Trellis. The simplest way to support your tomato plants is to use a string to tie the vine to a frame. String trellis is an available and inexpensive method that requires only a few materials. If you are growing the tomatoes in a greenhouse, you can attach the strings to the rafters or studs. If you are growing them outdoors, you can choose to use a horizontal or vertical frame.
- Stake Fence Trellis. This is a simple and inexpensive design idea yet long-lasting. It works best for both vining and bush tomatoes and you can adjust the size and width according to your preferences. You use strings to attach the plants to keep them growing off the ground.
- Tomato Trellis Triad. Many farmers who grow cherry tomatoes love this support. It is made from wood, wire mesh, string support, and U hooks at the top of the structure. The mesh fence is best for cherry tomatoes and any other variety that grows under 7 feet.
- Horizontal Trellis. If you have a smaller average-sized yard, a homemade horizontal trellis can be of great help to you. The mesh panels are supported by wooden posts in each corner. The tomatoes grow through the fencing and sprawl out as wide as possible without much care.
- Stake and String Trellis. The stake and string method are like the vertical hanging in the string trellis. The design is simple and involves pounding a wooden stake next to each plant. The stake provides early support for the plant. This is later tied or clipped to a string that suspends it to a horizontal frame or greenhouse ceiling. Cedar is a good wood to use for stakes since it is rot resistant and sisal strings are biodegradable.
Read more about How to Fix Blossom End Rot on your Tomatoes
With so many available options for supporting your tomato plants, it is easy to find a design that meets your needs. How big is your garden? What variety do you want to grow? When do you want to harvest them? Answering these questions will help you settle on the right option for your kind of tomato farming.