Last Updated on January 26, 2022 by Cinthia
Let’s discuss Ceramic Metal Halide vs LED. Is anyone better than the other? We will find out. In the world of hydroponics, grow light continues to advance. Various types of grow light such as ceramic metal halide and light-emitting diode (LED) are made available for the use of your hydroponic plants.
With the developments of grow lights in hydroponics, we are going to be comparing ceramic metal halide to LED. So let’s get into it.
About Ceramic Metal Halide
Ceramic metal halide is a type of grow light that that is a very close match to mimicking the work sunlight does on plants. It is one of the most efficient grow lights capable of producing high-standard light that can cover a large location or area of the hydroponic farm.
Ceramic metal halide supplies the biggest gram per watt. They are also capable of converting ultraviolet light to good ultraviolet wavelength which helps enhance plants’ growth. This type of UV spectrum is useful in repelling pathogens such as mildew and mold as well as some pests.
About LED Light
Light-emitting diode (LED) is another great type of grow light used in indoor hydroponics. They consist of hundreds of lights known as diodes. LED will supply their light in a specific and narrow wavelength.
The light-emitting diode will supply light that will usher them into their vegetative phase of the blue spectrum and flowering phase of the red spectrum.
CMH vs LED
We have taken a brief look into both ceramic metal halide and LED. Now let’s compare which is better between ceramic metal halide vs. LED.
- Healthy Plants: You get more healthy plants when you grow under ceramic metal halide rather than LED light. You also get better quality and higher yield when making use of ceramic metal halide grow light.
- Duration Of Cultivation: The duration length you wish to cultivate will determine which type to go for. If you wish to use your grow light for up to 5 years or more, it’s best you go for LED. This is so you can save cost over the long period of time you make use of this grow light. Also, a light-emitting diode bulb will last you up to 50,000 hours, unlike a ceramic metal halide which will only last about 30,000 hours.
- Grow Space: If your grow space is of the bigger and taller side, then it is ideal you go for ceramic metal halide. This is because your ceiling distance from plants will be increased thus encouraging better heat management. It will also encourage optimal light coverage for bigger and fuller plants as well as better aeration. On the other hand, LED grow little emits light heat and this heat supply must fit the appropriate grow room size of your plants. Take for instance during winter periods, ceramic metal halide will supply your plants adequate heat. Whereas when using LED grow light, you may need to obtain an extra heater to your grow room to help with cold periods.
- Beneficial Ultraviolet Spectrum: Ceramic metal halide will offer your plant a beneficial ultraviolet spectrum. This beneficial UV spectrum will help in stimulating considerable resin and terpene production. UV spectrum will also help wade off mildew and mold as well as any other pest.
- Vertical Growing Space: Ceramic metal halide is known to be very efficient in vertical growing plants. This is because of their high canopy penetration.
- Additional Cost: The major additional cost for metal halide is bulb replacements. The bulb needs to be replaced every 12 to 18 months of use. LED however doesn’t require replacing the bulb but LED may also require additional cost. For instance, if your grow space requires extra heat, you may have to invest in a heater to suit your growing needs. Ceramic on the other hand will generate adequate heat for your plants’ growing needs.
- Commercial Purposes: Ceramic metal halides are a great choice for commercial purposes. They are also great for hydroponic hobbyists with large space thereby providing a bigger yield. LED on the other hand is ideal for hydroponic growers with moderate grow space especially for growing space with lower ceilings. LED will also offer you bigger quality production.
Ceramic Metal Halide vs. LED Final Say
In final thoughts, choosing the best option when it comes to ceramic metal halide vs LED will solely depend on your preference. Both LED and ceramic metal halide is great to grow lights that will offer you great results. Our comparison above should guide you in choosing which suits your growing needs.