One of the first points to put in mind when commencing indoor hydroponic farming is the size of your grow room. This is important so you can determine the right grow room size per plant and carefully plan and work on your grow space to maximize yield.
Let’s take a look at how to choose the right grow room size that will suit your plants’ size.
Requirements To Consider
Before we dive into grow room size per plant, let’s get to know the requirements. Some factors will determine how to choose the grow room size per plant. Let’s take a look at some of these factors:
- Plant Size: Now, when it comes to plants, knowing the plant size is another factor to consider when growing in a particular room space. We have small plants, medium-sized plants, bigger plants, and bushier plants. You can get the plant size information on the packet of your seed pack. You may also find the plant’s growing height and perhaps seed spacing requirements in the seed pack.
- Spacing: Another factor is spacing requirements. While there are plants that require give planting space and failure to do so can cause poor growth and health of the plant. However, there are a few plants that can allow planting them close to each other. For example, plants that need to be pollinated by other plants will need their pollinating plants to be close to them.
Grow Space Room Size Per Plant
Talking about the recommended grow room size per plant, let’s take a look at this using a grow room of size 10 x 10 (i.e 10 feet by 10). A 10 x 10 room size equals 100 square foot room.
The number of plants that will fit a 100 square foot room will be less than 2000 small-sized plants. For medium-sized plants, it can fit about 200 to 450 plants. While for bigger or bushier plants, you can fit 25 to 100 plants for a 100 square foot grow size room.
Always have in mind that the space and size of plants will determine the number of plants you can fit in a grow room.
Read more about Leaving Grow Lights On 24 Hours
Using Grow Tent To Determine The Grow Room Size For Plants
Many hydroponic growers especially newbies usually wish to plan the number of plants they want to grow and select the appropriate grow tent size for it. This is a very good plan. Just ensure you have the required space where you can set up your grow tent in your home.
So, here are some various grow size tents and how many plants you can fit in them:
- 2 x 2 Grow Tent: let’s see how many plants we can fit in a 2 x 2 grow tent. Usually, a single plant is ideal for a 2 x 2 grow tent together with a 3 or 5-gallon container. However, you can still fit in 4 smaller plants in this grow tent size.
- 2 x 4 Grow Tent: 7 to 8 small sized-plants can fit in this grow tent size.
- 3 x 3 Grow Tent: this size can allow you to grow 9 small plants or more.
- 4 x 4 Grow Tent: you can comfortably plant about 4 regular-sized plants with this size.
- 4 x 8 Grow Tent: two large plants can fit into this size. About 8 medium-sized and 32 or more small plant sized can fit in this grow room space.
- 5 x 5 Grow Tent: you can easily grow up to 25 plants with this grow room size.
Importance Of Determining The Appropriate Grow Room Size
Determining the appropriate grow room size per plant is very crucial when it comes to indoor hydroponics. Doing this will accurately guide you to calculating the capacity in which you can plant. This way, you can enhance the quality and results of the harvest.
However, if you choose an undersized or wrong grow room, there are serious consequences to this. It can result in overheating of your plants and your garden will be overcrowded. Now overcrowding will result in low-quality yield which is totally the opposite of what any gardener wants.
Also, oversized grow room has its own issue. Oversized grow room will cost you a lot because there will be an increase in total operating cost. It will require extra costs such as more electricity consumption, constant temperature regulation to an accommodating level for plants, etc.
Find out the Cheapest Hydroponic Growing Medium
With that said, we hope you have picked one or two things on how to choose the right grow room size for your hydroponic indoor garden. Happy growing!