If you’re wondering what the aeroponics nutrient solution recipe entails, then we’ve got all you need to know here. Aeroponic is an environmentally friendly way of growing plants. It is just like a hydroponics system but plants here are literally grown in the air and the nutrient here are been misted over the plants.
Aeroponics gardening makes use of a special way of feeding plants and the nutrient solution supplies the nutrient for the plants’ development.
In this article, we will be discussing more on aeroponics nutrient solution recipe, how aeroponics works, and many more. So, continue reading to gain some knowledge.
Aeroponic Farming System
Just like hydroponics, aeroponics farming makes use of growing plants in a soilless environment. The plant roots are suspended in the air thus; this brings about the name ‘Aeroponic.’
The aeroponic system is quite similar to the hydroponic system. However, the difference is the way nutrients and environmental conditions are delivered and controlled.
In an aeroponics system, plants are cultivated in a closed space and the roots are sprayed or misted with a nutrient solution every given interval.
Various plants such as vegetables, green, etc, can be grown in the aeroponic system and they will offer you bountiful yields.
The nutrient supplied in aeroponic plants is organic liquids and they include nitrogen, phosphorous, potassium, and so on. Easily assimilated by plants because they are in pure form. Therefore, nutrient absorption is faster simpler.
Aeroponics Nutrient Solution Recipe
Growing various plants in aeroponics means you should be able to supply all the required materials needed for your plants to grow adequately. Part of the things to be provided is a nutrient solution.
Different stages of plants require specific nutrient regimes. The nutrient solution you will be providing should have a complete structure of primary nutrients, secondary nutrients, and macro and micronutrients. All of these nutrients must be in the right proportion according to what your various plants require.
The primary nutrient includes nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium.
The secondary nutrient includes magnesium, calcium, sulfur.
Macronutrients include iron, zinc, copper, boron, molybdenum, chloride, manganese, and so on.
The correct pH is one determining factor to their absorption. So, let’s take a look at the ideal pH for the aeroponics nutrient solution.
Ideal PH For Aeroponic Nutrient Solution
Ideally, most plants will absorb nutrients efficiently when the pH is slightly acidic. While some other plants may prefer a bit of acidic pH range. The most important thing is for you to have good information about the type of plant you will be growing.
How Aeroponics Works
The Aeroponics system utilizes a sprinkling method of feeding plants and plant roots are suspended in the air.
The system has small nozzles which are made up of tiny sprinkler heads. This generates the mist for a short period. Set the sprinkler to sprinkle nutrient solution every 10 or 15 minutes per day. This misting will engulf the plant roots where it hangs long enough for some of this nutrient to be assimilated.
Once the mist stops, some of the nutrient solutions drip off to give the plant root a chance to receive oxygen. So they use this brief moment to take in oxygen until the next round of misting continues.
Advantages Of Aeroponics
You stand to gain lots of things growing with aeroponics. Below are some benefits to the aeroponic system:
- Less Space With Abundant Yield: aeroponics farming offers you the ability to grow various plants in a limited space. You also enjoy bountiful yield in that little space. Achieve abundant yield in a limited space more with a vertical garden.
- No Nutrient Run-off: because the nutrients are usually in an enclosed space, nutrient run-off is reduced.
- All Year Round Production: aeroponics makes use of soilless techniques and plants are grown indoors. Therefore, all environmental conditions such as sunlight, temperature, nutrients, etc, are controlled. It gives you total control whereby you can even predict crop timing and grow quality plants. This means no weather or climate change or disturbance and all your plants get to grow all year round. Thus, you enjoy all-year-round food production.
- Safer And Environmentally Friendly: growing with aeroponics is very environment friendly and your plants are safe from contamination. This is because your setup is in an enclosed environment, thus protecting and eliminating any possible pollution. Therefore, it reduces the likelihood of using any type of herbicides or pesticides thereby offering you a more organic farm product.
- Efficiency: the efficiency of the aeroponics system is 3 or more times greater than outdoor traditional farming. The design of an aeroponic system is to maximize the growth and production of plants.
Downsides To Aeroponics
Even though aeroponics offers lots of benefits one can’t resist, there are still some downsides to them.
You need a bit of skill to run an aeroponics system efficiently. Take, for instance, the nutrient solution concentration. You need to sustain the nutrient concentration with accurate parameters. Any little malfunction can put your entire plant at risk.
Also, you need to ensure the misters always work at the specified time and they must not stop. If they stop for any reason like a power outage, your plants’ roots will dry out quickly. Now this will be bad for your plant if this happens.
Another drawback is that your misters may suffer clogging from mineral deposits in water solutions. But to avoid this, ensure you clean your misters regularly.
Final Say On Aeroponics Nutrient Solution Recipe
The Aeroponics system is a great way of farming and there are lots of benefits to this system. They are quite similar to hydroponic techniques; however, there are a few differences between them.
Supplying your aeroponics plants with the appropriate nutrient solution recipe is crucial to their growth. Also, various plants of different stages require various nutrient regimes. Therefore, ensure you have good information on the type of plant you’re growing. Also, obtain the right nutrient amount for your plant growing needs.