If you’re finding it difficult to get sunlight especially during winter or there’s not enough sunlight entering your home, then you can go for artificial light. But the question is does artificial light really help plants grow?
Light is essential for plants especially in the process of photosynthesis. Be it houseplants, indoor hydroponic garden, etc, various plants have various light intensity requirements as they all need light to grow.
So, let’s get to know if artificial light does help plants grow as lightening is an important criterion in the growth process of a plant.
Does Artificial Light Help Plants?
It is pretty possible to make use of artificial plants to help plants grow even throughout their growth stages. Even though sunlight is the best type of light because it supplies all the perfect balance of wavelength required for the development of your plants, artificial light can also be helpful.
Artificial lights are mainly helpful if most of the light directions in your home are low in natural lights. Except your plant is a low light requiring plants, you may need to make use of artificial light.
However, one needs to understand the concept behind color temperature. This is because plants will make use of various colors of light in various ways. Learn more on color temperature here.
Generally, plants will make use of blue light for the growth of leaves i.e. the vegetative phase. While for the flowering phase, plants will make use of a combination of blue and red light.
Advantages Of Using Artificial Light For Indoor Plants
The advantage your plants get to enjoy using artificial lights includes:
- All Year Round: light will be supplied to your plants all year round. You don’t have to worry about changes in the season because artificial light will always be available for your plants’ growing needs.
- Total Control: artificial lights offers you total control as to how much light you supply your plants. Depending on the type of plant and the amount of light intensity they require, you can modify or adjust the lighting to suit your plants’ needs. Thus, you have complete control over the growing process of your plants.
- Position Your Plant Anywhere: unlike when you’re searching for natural lights in your home to position your plants, with artificial lights, you can position them anywhere. So, there’s no limitation of where to put your plants.
Types Of Artificial Lighting For Plants
Now, let’s take a look at some artificial lights that can help in the growing process of your plants.
If you’re fully into indoor gardening such s hydroponics, you will need to obtain hanging tube fixtures that can be positioned on top of your plants. To make things much easier, simply go for grow light kits designed for this function that will include fixtures and reflectors.
However, if you’re growing regular houseplants, simply make use of any type of light fixtures or lamps. Just ensure you select good bulbs and position these lights in a way that will help your plant grow.
So, here are some artificial lights you can find:
- Incandescent Light: this type of artificial light is affordable and easily accessible. However, it usually generates lots of heat thus it’s should be positioned far from your plants.
- Fluorescent Light: fluorescent light is one great artificial light you can find. It is affordable and appropriate for supplying light to various plants. Fluorescent light is especially great for houseplants and other plants. They emit moderate heat unlike incandescent light, thus they can be placed close to your plants without worrying about too much heat affecting them. Go for the cool white type as white light consists of a full wavelength spectrum.
- LED Lights: LED lights are one of the best artificial lights you can find. The lights they produce are energy efficient that will enhance the growth of your plants. Simply ensure your LED lights supply the red and blue lights required for the growth of plants.
- Horticulture Grows Lights: These types of artificial light are packed with a full wavelength spectrum. They are especially great for enhancing plants that need to bloom. They usually come in tubes of fluorescent fixtures.
Plants And Artificial Light Conclusion
So we can see that artificial light does help plants with their growing needs. If you’re having issues with getting access o natural light in your home, artificial light can always save your plants.