Last Updated on April 21, 2022 by Griselda M.
In this article, we will look at the general information about grape tomatoes vs cherry tomatoes to learn their differences and similarities.
It’s hard to think of a food that has been around longer than the humble tomato. It was grown in ancient Egypt and used by ancient Romans, Greeks, and Egyptians. It is believed to have originated in Central America and was brought to Europe from Mexico during the Spanish conquest of the Americas.
Tomatoes are now grown all over the world. We are fortunate to live in a time when we can eat fresh tomatoes every day, from breakfast through to dinner. A tomato plant can grow up to 2 meters high and produce over 100 tomatoes per plant. Let’s look at grape tomatoes vs cherry tomatoes.
What Are Grape Tomatoes?
Grape tomatoes are a type of cherry tomato. Grape tomatoes are also called “grape tomatoes” or “grapefruit tomatoes”. They are small round fruit with a smooth surface. The color of the flesh ranges from yellow, and green to red.
Grape tomatoes can be eaten raw or cooked. They are delicious in salads and sandwiches. You can even make a dip out of them. Grape tomatoes have a sweet flavor and acidity that makes them an ideal addition to dips. You can eat your grape tomatoes raw, but most people prefer them cooked.
- To cook, first, wash the tomatoes. If they have blemishes, cut them out or leave them as is.
- If you plan to use them in salads, you need to remove the seeds. You can then dice or slice your tomatoes.
There are many ways to cook your grape tomatoes.
- You can add them to your favorite salad, pasta, pizza, or soup.
- You can also serve them as a side dish or appetizer.
- You can boil them in a pot of water with some salt or in a microwave oven.
- You can also put them in the oven and roast or grill them.
What Are Cherry Tomatoes?
Cherry tomatoes have thick skin, unlike the thin skin of grape tomatoes. Cherry tomatoes and grape tomatoes can be confused with each other, but they are different in many ways.
Cherry tomatoes are often available in different colors. Some varieties of cherry tomatoes are red, orange, yellow, green, or purple. They also come in various sizes, from small to large. The large cherry tomatoes are usually used for salad and the smaller cherry tomatoes are used for snacks.
When buying cherry tomatoes, look for firm, unblemished tomatoes with stems attached. You may want to peel the tomatoes if you like the skin on your tomatoes. If the tomatoes are not ripe enough for eating, store them in the refrigerator until they are ready to use.
There are several ways to cook cherry tomatoes. They can be grilled, roasted, fried, or steamed. Cherry tomatoes can also be added to salads, sandwiches, pasta, or pizza. If you want to add flavor to your cherry tomatoes, marinate them in a vinaigrette or olive oil, garlic, herbs, or other spices.
Cherry tomatoes are delicious when they are fresh. If you are going to serve them, however, you will need to keep them refrigerated until you are ready to eat them.
Differences Between Grape Tomatoes vs Cherry Tomatoes
As we have seen above, each tomato has its differences compared to the other. The two most common varieties of tomatoes are the grape tomato and the cherry tomato. Both of these types of tomatoes are very popular, especially with home gardeners, because they are easy to grow, easy to maintain, and taste good. However, there are some differences between the two that you should know about before deciding which one is best for you. They include:
- Grape tomatoes are generally more acidic than cherry tomatoes.
- Cherry tomatoes are usually smaller than grape tomatoes.
- Grape tomatoes have thicker skin than cherry tomatoes.
- Grape tomatoes are usually red, while cherry tomatoes are usually yellow and orange.
- Grape tomatoes are usually seedless, whereas cherry tomatoes are not.
Similarities Of Grape Tomatoes vs Cherry Tomatoes
- Grape tomatoes are the same size as cherry tomatoes, but they are slightly firmer. This makes them easier to pick, pack, transport and store.
- The taste is also similar, but the texture is a bit different.
- Both tomato varieties are very juicy and can be eaten whole with or without salt and pepper. They are delicious in salads and pasta dishes.
- Both are easy to grow and enjoy.
- These tomatoes are picked and sold in bunches.
- They are commonly used by most people who love these tiny tomatoes for different recipes.
- They both can be grown in the garden of pots
- They require the same growing conditions
Final Thoughts On Grape Tomatoes vs Cherry Tomatoes
So next time you are thinking about grape tomatoes vs cherry tomatoes, think about what you want to use them for before growing. Many gardeners enjoy growing either of these tomatoes, they enjoy using them in their kitchens because they are unique and sumptuous.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I substitute grape tomatoes for cherry tomatoes?
Yes, you can use grape tomatoes in place of cherry tomatoes but it depends on the recipe you are preparing.
Which is sweeter grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes?
Grape tomatoes are slightly sweeter than cherry tomatoes, the more reason why most home cooks use them.
Are Grape tomatoes vs cherry tomatoes calories high?
Cherry tomatoes have fewer calories per pound than grape tomatoes, and a pound of cherry tomatoes has about 150 calories. This is not as high compared to other tomato varieties.
What is the main difference between grape tomatoes and cherry tomatoes?
The main difference is that the grape tomatoes are slightly sweeter than the cherry tomatoes. This means that you can eat more of them without getting sick. Grape tomatoes can be preserved by putting them in a plastic bag with a few drops of lemon juice or vinegar and then putting it in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.