Last Updated on March 6, 2023
Succulents are a type of plant that typically have thick leaves and stems with small flowers. They grow in different shapes, colors, textures, and sizes depending on the species. Some succulent plants can reach up to 10 feet tall while some smaller types only get up to 3 or 4 inches high!
The “how big can succulents get?” is a question that has been asked many times. The truth is, it all depends on the type of succulent you’re growing. We’ll be taking a closer look at this article.
How Big Can Succulents Get?
The size that succulents can get varies massively. It all depends on what type of succulent you’re growing. In saying that, the average size can be anywhere from 6″ to two feet! However, some varieties can be even taller than that! You simply need to choose the variety that works for you.
It’s also important to mention that it all depends on the living conditions of your succulent. To attain the fullest height it can, it needs to be in a thriving environment. For example, they need ample sunlight, nutrients, and of course, water. It’s also worth mentioning that you may need to be patient, as succulents are slow-growing plants.
How to Make Succulents Grow Bigger
You may be wondering how to help your succulents grow bigger and reach their biggest size. Let’s take a closer look at some tips.
- Choose species wisely. If you’re wanting a large succulent, you should opt for a species that you know is capable of growing to the size that you’re looking for.
- Change the pot regularly. Your succulents need space to grow and changing your pot regularly to a larger size will allow your plants to have the opportunity to expand to the size you’re looking for.
- Plant in the garden. Planting in the garden will give your succulent the space to grow, as well as access to ample sunlight, which most succulents need; especially larger ones.
- Use succulent potting mix. While your succulents will grow using a standard potting mix, a succulent potting mix will ensure your plants get the nutrients they need to thrive to the fullest.
What Are the Biggest Succulents?
There are many larger varieties of succulents, but some of the tallest can reach up to eight feet tall! And those species are the Elephant Bush and Jade Plant.
How Big Do Mini Succulents Get?
Mini succulents can be tiny! Some of them can only grow up to around an inch tall! Let’s take a closer look at some of the most common types of mini succulents.
- Jelly bean plant. This is the plant that will only grow to around an inch in height. It gets its name from its jelly bean-like appearance.
- Zebra plant. This plant will grow to around five inches in height. It has stripes, which is how it gets its nickname. It looks similar to an aloe vera but much smaller.
- Campfire crassula. This plant will grow to around six inches in height. It has red flowers and is a hardy succulent.
- Lithops. Another succulent that’ll only grow to around an inch in height. You may know it better by its nickname: living stones.
Tall Succulent Species
There are many tall species of succulents; some are more common than others. Let’s take a closer look at some of our favorites.
- Jade plant. One of the tallest succulents that have been known to grow up to eight feet tall! However, typically, it grows to around five feet. It’s low maintenance and has white flowers.
- Queen of the night. The Queen of the Night has been known to grow up to twenty feet tall! However, this is rare. It would need the perfect environment to achieve this height. It has white flowers.
- Aloe vera. This is most likely the succulent you’re most familiar with; particularly due to its other uses, such as soothing. It typically grows around three feet in height.
How Fast Does Succulents Grow?
The speed at which succulents grow all comes down to which species you’re growing. However, they are known for being plants that grow slowly. It ranges from around a few months to a year for your succulent to grow. But some can even take three years to hit maturity.
What Does It Mean When a Succulent Flowers?
When succulent flowers, it means that the plant has reached its reproductive phase. This typically happens when the plant is about six inches tall and has leaves that are green and shiny. The plant will then produce flowers on top of the leaves. These flowers will be white or yellow and have a sweet smell.
Should I Let My Succulents Flower?
If you want to let your succulents flower, then it is up to you. However, some people may not want to do this because they believe that the flowers will die and take away from the beauty of their plants.
When Should Succulents Be Pruned?
Succulents should be pruned when they start to get a lot of leaves. This is because succulents need light and air to grow, so if the leaves are blocking that from happening, it’s best to remove them.
Succulents are a type of plant that is known for their ability to survive in low-light conditions. This means they can grow in places with little or no sun. However, this also means that they need some other source of light to keep them alive and healthy. Reference: do succulents need sun?
Conclusion – How Big Can Succulents Get
I hope this post has helped to answer the question: “how big can succulents get” and given you an idea of the best ways to make your succulents grow even bigger. Whether you’re looking for a small or large succulent, they’re incredibly diverse and they’ll be one to suit your needs. Do you have any interesting facts about how big succulents can get? If so, please feel free to let us know in the comments below. And remember, sharing is caring!
Watch this video:
- large succulents
- do succulents grow back
- do succulents grow bigger in bigger pots
- how big do succulents get indoors
- biggest succulents
Sam is an avid gardener and plant enthusiast. He loves spending time outdoors tending to his garden, learning about new plants and sharing his knowledge with others. Sam has been gardening for over 10 years and takes great pride in his work. He is a self–taught expert and is always eager to learn more. Sam also enjoys teaching others about gardening and has even written several articles for local newspapers about the topic. He is passionate about preserving the environment and making sure that the plants in his garden are healthy and thriving. Sam‘s favorite pastime is spending time in the garden with his family and friends, where he can share his knowledge and enjoy the beauty of nature.