Last Updated on May 28, 2021 by Cristina
Now you’ve got everything ready for your indoor hydroponics farm and this question pops into your mind: how many watts per plant for LED grow lights?
In this post, we will take a look at how you can determine the number of watts per plant for the benefit of your plant’s growing needs. So, let’s begin.
How Many Watts Per Plant For Led Gr...How Many Watts Per Plant For Led Grow LightsWattage As Plant Indicator For Grow Light
Wattage in the real sense shouldn’t be the actual indicator for your grow lights. It does not determine the quantity of energy your plants receives to grow. You should only use watts as a guideline for calculating grow light fixtures.
The key to successfully growing your plants in a given area using grow light intensity is getting to know the light spectrum.
Watts will however help you calculate or determine the amount of electricity consumed. This will help in terms of knowing your cost at the same time-saving cost. However, if we look at it this way: more energy consumption results in more light for your plants’ growing needs. We can then assume wattage to be an indicator.
How Many Watts Per Plant LED Grow Lights
Let’s take a look at this using square foot per plant. The first thing you need to do is measure the size of your grow space or tent by square feet. After you must have determined the area, use this measurement to purchase the LED grow light of appropriate light intensity.
Note that some factors will also determine how you should choose your LED to grow light. This will help in choosing the appropriate light intensity required for the growth of your plants.
Factors For Choosing LED Grow Light Per Plant
How many watts your plants will require will vary depending on these factors:
- Type Of Plant: the type of plants will fall into the category of high demanding lights or low demanding light. High-demanding lights include peppers, tomatoes, etc. While low demanding lights include leafy greens and herbs (e.g. lettuce, basil, watercress, kale, etc.)
- Grow Space Or Tent: the area of your grow space will determine the number of watts needed. A large grow space or tent will demand more power while a small grow space will demand less.
- Growth Stage: the various stages of a plant life cycle will also determine how many watts for LED grow light. The various growing stages are seedlings, vegetative, flowering, and fruiting which all require a different amount of light.
Watt Per Square Foot Of Plant
Deciding on the appropriate light per square meter of your grow space or tent is crucial. The various sizes of your grow room or tent will require different intensities of light.
Here are the recommended watts per square foot of a plant:
- 2 by 2 feet (4 sq. ft) will require between 120 to 140 watts.
- 2 by 4 feet (8 sq. ft) will require between 240 to 280 watts.
- 3 by 3 feet (9 sq. ft) will require between 280 to 340 watts.
- 4 by 4 feet (16 sq. ft) will require between 420 to 480 watts.
- 4 by 5 feet (20 sq. ft) will require between 600 to 650 watts.
- 5 by 5 feet (25 sq. ft) will require between 780 to 840 watts.
- 6 by 6 feet (36 sq. ft) will require between 1000 to 1200 watts.
Generally, you should know that the number of watts increases by square feet. This also depends on how many plants will be grown in this area.
Let’s take a look at how many watts per square foot using the number of plants grown in a particular area.
- 1 plant per square foot will require 30 to 40 watts.
- 2 plants per square foot will require 60 to 80 watts.
- 8 plants per square foot will require 240 to 300 watts.
- 10 plants per square foot will require 300 to 340 watts.
Manufacture’s Watt vs. Actual Watt
The LED you to find in the market will have their printed manufacture’s wattage. However, the actual watt to run it is usually different.
For instance, if it goes for 3-watt diode electric power and you run it by that 3 watts; you will be drawing or burning out all the power. The recommended usage should be around 60% power of what is given or listed.
How Many Led Watts Per Plant Conclusion
Deciding how many watts per plant for LED grow lights will depend on the size of your grow space. Put all the necessary factors together and you will be a step ahead from deciding the right watts for your plant’s growing needs.
With that said, we hope you’re able to figure out how many watts for each plant LED grow light required.