I used to resort to various organic planting methods for tending to my home garden. However, when I’ve heard of the paper pot transplanter for organic gardening, I was intrigued as to what it is and how it can help change the way farming is done.
In this review, we’ll be talking about the paperpot transplanter and how it can possibly shape the future of farming.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Transplanter
With a transplanter, you can easily transplant your seedlings into the field. This allows you to save a lot of time than when you prefer to take on the job manually. If you own a farm with plenty of crops, then you could surely benefit from a transplanter. However, you have to consider the following things before you buy one:
- Your farm’s size – the transplanter you buy will depend on the total area of your farm. If you own a small farm, you can make do with a simple transplanting machine. However, if you have a very wide farming area, then you’ll have to go for larger transplanting machinery to complete the job.
- Planting window – this is yet another factor that you have to consider for a transplanter. The shorter your planting window is, the faster your equipment should be. This only means the more rows you need to plant in a short period of time.
- Labor availability – lastly, you have to consider labor ability. If your farm is struggling to secure enough labor, then a more efficient transplanter should be considered.
The Johnny’s Seeds PaperPot Transplanter
This paperpot transplanter from Johnny’s Seeds is almost the same to the other paper pot transplanters you see on the market. It has a furrower at the front which is responsible for making a trough where the plants are dropped into then planted in the ground.
Meanwhile, the two wheels which are located at the rear will lightly compact the soil. Rather than a seed hopper, a paper pot transplanter makes use of a large tray where seedlings are placed for transplanting.
Due to its nature, the transplanter is ideal for those who own a small farm and want to transplant their seedlings efficiently. It’s not, however, recommended for those who own a large-scale farm as the rate of transplanting isn’t fast enough to catch up to their planting window.
Compared to other paper pot transplanting products in the market, this one from Johnny’s Seeds comes with a number of features which you might not find in other products. That said, let’s talk about its pros and cons.
- Allows you to transplant up to 264 seedlings in a few minutes
- Large rear wheels for compacting the soil
- Adjustable spacing which you can set based on your preferences
- The paper chain pots are currently pending approval from the National Organic Program (NOP) and National Organic Statistics Board (NOSB)
- Not recommended for large fields
- There are cases where directly-sown plants outperformed PPT-transplanted plants
Features and Benefits
If you have been planning to buy a paper pot transplanter but haven’t decided yet, then the following features of the Johnny’s Seeds transplanter might just convince you. Let’s try to break them down into details.
Fast Transplanting Speed
Imagine having to transplant 500 seedlings into your garden all by yourself. Manually. How long do you think it will take you? Do you have the tools that will help you complete the job?
I know it sounds hard just thinking about it. If you go the traditional route, you’ll have to do the transplanting by hand or create your own custom farming equipment. However, with the paper pot transplanter, especially this one from Johnny’s Seeds, you can easily plant up to 264 seedlings per minute without having to exert a lot of effort.
In other words, you can easily finish the job of transplanting 500 seedlings in just two minutes!
Here’s a quick transplanting demonstration with the Johnny’s Seed PPT:
Various Spacing Options
Another feature that makes Johnny Seed’s PPT is the availability of various spacing options. Specifically, there are 2-inch, 4-inch, and 6-inch options which you can choose from depending on your desired spacing. The seedlings will be automatically planted based on the spacing you choose.
I find it quite useful as there’s no longer a need to manually measure the spacing between each seedling.
Large Rear Wheels
Lastly, the large wheels at the rear are really efficient in compacting the soil after each seedling is planted. They do it in a way that the soil is firmly pressed, allowing the seedlings to be positioned properly which is vital to their growth.
Benefits of Using Johnny’s Seed PPT
Generally, PPTs are used to solve the issue of manually transplanting seedlings on a farm as well as the need to invest in more expensive equipment. Aside from that, here are the other benefits of this transplanter:
- It removes the need to bend over just to transplant your seedlings manually
- You can have the ability to closely schedule your planting session
- It allows you to produce more pounds of crops per seedbed, though it will vary depending on the plant type
- It reduces the chances of crop loss due to transplanting
With the introduction of paper pot transplanters, various other manufacturers have their own version of a PPT as well. Here are some good alternatives to Johnny’s Seed transplanter:
You can find transplanting tools here.
Then again, a paper pot transplanter allows you to transplant seedlings in a faster and more convenient approach than you would if you choose to take on the job manually. The reason why I have decided on Johnny’s Seed paper pot transplanter is that it allows you to transplant 200+ seedlings in a minute, comes with large wheels for soil compacting, and there are various spacing options available.
If you want to have a hassle-free gardening with less manual labor, then you might want to check out the product. Simply click here to check it out!