Just as hydroponic means growing plants without soil: a vertical hydroponics system is a combination of staked hydroponics in a vertical manner.
The idea of a vertical hydroponic system came about to solve space management. At the same time, there is an adequate system for you to plant as many as you can.
What is Vertical Hydroponics Farming?
Vertical hydroponics farming involves cultivating crops with the use of water rather than soil. In a vertical hydroponics farming system, your plants are all loaded up in a vertical fashion. This type of hydroponic can be done both outdoors and indoors.
However, the stumbled up levels comes at an extra cost. Vertical hydroponics placed indoors will need to be positioned where there is an equal amount of sunlight for all levels. This can be quite challenging to achieve. However, to make things easier, you can use a vertical grow light to provide optimal growth for all levels.
Also, if your vertical hydroponics is placed outdoors, you need to find a perfect spot for adequate sunlight.
Ideal Plants Grown With Vertical Hydroponics System
You can grow various plants with a vertical system such as herbs, vegetables, and fruits. Examples include:
Spinach, lettuce, broccoli, cabbage, mint, cucumbers, eggplants, collard greens, strawberries, tomatoes, peppers, kale, basil, chives, and so on.
Benefits of Vertical Hydroponics System
Just like the normal hydroponics system, you can enjoy the same benefits with vertical hydroponics, but in a vertical manner. The benefits include:
- Enjoy planting with no mess from the soil.
- You get to enjoy year-round plant production.
- Crop yield will be more increased.
- You can place vertical hydroponics systems both outdoors and indoors.
- You get to cultivate more plants in minimal space.
- Because the vertical system makes use of water rather than traditional soil, soil-borne pests and diseases are reduced drastically.
- Enjoy the benefits of reduced weed problem.
- With the closed water nutrient system, water remains in the tubes with no spilling.
- Wastage is reduced because the water-filled nutrient is reused in the closed-circuit until no point of use.
How to Ensure a Successful Running Vertical Hydroponic System
You need to ensure your vertical hydroponics system runs successfully so you don’t regret investing in one. So here are a couple of things to do for a successful running of a vertical hydroponics system:
- You need to ensure water flows optimally at every level of the system. Getting water to reach the highest level might be an issue. You will need to design your vertical hydroponics with a bigger powered pump.
- Take note that the lower level plants do not drown.
- You need to monitor the provision for light. All hydroponic flourishes with light, so it is essential they get optimal light anywhere they are placed. Also, ensure all plant levels receive an equal amount of light for maximum growth.
- Monitor the nutrient mix always.
You can grow more plants from vertical hydroponic. However, this usually costs additional investments and input for your vertical system to run smoothly.
For instance, grow lights and motors will involve setting up energy bills. Also, the water which is a closed flow system will need to be watched closely.
The good news is that the benefits of a vertical system supersede the limitations. Considering the fact that lands are becoming lesser for gardening. Vertical farming offers you the opportunity of planting as much as you can in minimal space.
Zigzag Vertical Hydroponic System
The design of most vertical hydroponic system is vertical. However, some vertical system design may come in a zigzag pattern.
We have the PVC diagonally staked up in a zigzag vertical system. You can also see the plants sheltered in net cups.
This system might be a bit complex. However, if you can work it out, the operations will become easy. The system has adequate capacity of planting more crops efficiently with higher productivity.
Vertical hydroponics system makes gardening life so much easier and productivity is significantly maximized. It is especially ideal for people that live in an urban environment where there’s no adequate space for gardening.
Even though there are a couple of challenges involved in using vertical hydroponics, it still renders many benefits in farming. You can solve most of the challenges easily with little investment and some work
As of now, you can find various vertical hydroponic kits in the market. This tells us there is an increase in the interest and demands of vertical hydroponics