Last Updated on October 30, 2022 by Cinthia
You can enjoy fresh veggies and other types of crops in the comfort of your home by venturing into vertical farming. This post will give you an easy guide on how to do vertical farming at home.
Vertical farming is a type of farming system that involves growing crops in a stacked-up manner. So, if vertical farming interests you and you’re wondering how to do vertical farming at home, we will enlighten you in this post.
What Is Vertical Farming System?How To Grow Cucumbers Vertically (S...How To Grow Cucumbers Vertically (Simple Guide)
A vertical farming system is a method of growing all types of crops in vertical layers. Plants are stacked up to save more space and this allows you to raise plants in a much closer space. It also encourages maximum utilization of very small space at the same time results in abundant yield.
How To Do Vertical Farming At Home
How to do vertical farming at home is easy and we will put you through this. The first thing is to decide if you would be building a DIY system or if you’d purchase the complete supplies.
However, there is a popular and easier vertical DIY system that will especially suit your home or kitchen. This type of vertical farming structure was designed by Belgian professor Willem Van Cottehem.
This method makes use of transformed regular bottles into usable containers by stringing them together in a container rack. Also, all types of plants including young tree (will be transplanted after attaining optimal height) can be grown using this technique.
The most interesting beneficial thing about this type of vertical system is that it doesn’t make use of electricity. Also, it is simply a low-cost, sturdy, and much simpler type of vertical farming.
Steps On Bottle Tower Vertical Home Farming
Follow these steps to learn how to carefully set up the bottle tower garden and the materials required in building a bottle tower garden:
So, obtain some plastic bottles of water. Stack up about 6 to 7 rows depending on your preference. Trim off the base of all the bottles resulting in two openings: the base and the funnel. Also, drill two holes close to the lid on the two sides. These holes will serve as drainage for draining excess water in the system.
So, fill the bottle with a soil mix composed of local soil and compost or animal manure. Fill the bottle up and leave about an inch free at the base.
Since the bottle will be stacked up line by line, the bottles at the bottom row of the vertical garden should have their lid or cover. A hole should be drilled into the cover. This bottle should stand at the bottom of the tower. So, the rest of the rows or layers should be stacked without the cover.
All the bottles are attached to a wall or any kind of supporting structure. A binding wire is also used to hold or attach the bottles together.
Then the upper part of the stacked bottle should be with a cover or lid. This will serve as a funnel for filling the bottle at the top of the tower. Water for example can be poured via the upper bottle and it will drip down into all the other bottles in the tower.
Next, make a small window by cutting part of each bottle. You can decide to create two windows by cutting the upper and lower part of each bottle. So, it is through this window that seed, seedlings, or young plants are planted into.
An extra tip to improve the dripping system from the funnel of the upper bottle put a little sand in the upper bottle funnel. Therefore, this sand in the upper funnel will serve as a filter as water goes down through the upper bottle funnel down other bottles.
What To Grow In Vertical Indoor Farming at Home?
There are various crops to be grown in vertical farming. You can grow all kinds of vegetables. However, you may be limited in growing bigger and taller plants as they may not accommodate them as they grow big. You can also grow various types of succulent plants.
So, below are some examples of vegetables or fruits that can be grown in a vertical system:
Is vertical farming worthwhile?
Vertical farming is a growing trend in which plants are grown in a controlled environment that allows them to grow on a flat surface with little or no need for soil. As opposed to conventional, horizontal farming methods where crops are grown in rows and watered with sprinklers or drip irrigation, vertical farms use hydroponic systems and controlled lighting to provide all the nutrients required for optimal growth.
While vertical farming has been around for decades, it’s only recently that more and more homes have adopted the concept. If you do it right, it is definitely worth the effort.
It is accomplished by stacking multiple layers of plastic over trays filled with hydroponic nutrient solution. The plant roots grow through holes in the plastic, which allows the plants to receive all the nutrients they need. In a vertical farm, the layers of plastic are stacked on top of one another, creating a series of growing chambers that can be used for different types of crops.
What’s a great system for home-use?
Let’s take a closer look at the Grow Tower and see what makes it so great.
Advantages of the Grow Tower
1.You don’t need to worry about temperature, light, or any other aspect of growing plants. The Grow Tower allows you to grow any plant from seeds.
2. It’s eco-friendly There are many benefits to growing your own food, but one of the biggest is sustainability. Growing your own food doesn’t use up a lot of resources, and it doesn’t require a lot of land. The Grow Tower is also an eco-friendly system. This means you can grow food in any environment. You don’t need a greenhouse, and you don’t need to buy fertilizer.
3. It’s cost-efficient One of the most important aspects of growing your own food is cost-efficiency. The Grow Tower is one of the most cost-effective systems for growing plants. It can be used in any location, whether indoors or outdoors, and it costs less than traditional methods.
4. It’s portable If you want to grow plants outside, but don’t have the space, the Grow Tower is the perfect solution. It’s modular, so you can create the height you need. You can add more modules to increase the height, and you can remove them when you’re finished. The Grow Tower can be moved from one place to another, and you can even take it on vacation. You won’t have to worry about bringing seeds or soil with you.
5. It’s convenient One of the biggest advantages of the Grow Tower is that it’s convenient. You can grow plants anywhere, whether it’s in your backyard or on a boat. You don’t have to worry about where to grow them, and you don’t have to use a greenhouse. The Grow Tower also has an automatic watering system, so you don’t have to worry about watering.
6. It’s customizable You can customize the Grow Tower to fit your needs.
7. It’s incredibly easy to grow plants using the Grow Tower One of the biggest advantages of the Grow Tower is that it’s easy to use. It doesn’t require much space, and it doesn’t require any technical knowledge. All you need to do is add soil to the base, place the seeds on top, and water.
Why is vertical farming great over soil in small homes?
The vertical farming system allows plants to grow in a container that is completely submerged under water. This eliminates the need to use soil and the use of nutrients makes it possible to grow plants on a much smaller scale. These systems also allow you to grow food year round, which is why they are becoming so popular. Vertical farming systems are great for growing herbs and vegetables that are low maintenance. They also allow you to grow food without spending a lot of money.
Vertical farming systems are great for small farms and urban settings. The only problem with these systems is that they are expensive. However, there are ways to cut down on your costs. First, you can make your own grow beds. You can either use PVC pipes or concrete blocks to make your beds. When you grow plants in containers, you will need to fill the containers with potting mix. You will also need a system to keep the water level constant. This can be done with a reservoir, which can hold up to one thousand gallons. If you want to make your own grow beds, you can build them into a greenhouse. For example, if you have a two car garage, you can put your grow bed into the lower part of the garage. Make sure you have a system to keep the water from leaking out. If you are going to use a grow bed, it is best to do it outside. If you are going to do it inside, you will need to build a frame that will hold the container in place. You will also need to make sure that the container is waterproof.
Home Vertical Farming Closing Remark
We do hope this article has enlightened you on how to do vertical farming at home? So, get farming in a vertical manner and enjoy maximum crop yield in a managed space.